People! This is the B E S T recipe for corn bread. I lost the recipe once and hand to work really hard to find it again on the web.(duh, no bookmark) That’s why I am posting in here on my site so you can try it and I will never lose it again. 🙂
- 1 cup all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup half and half
- ¼ cup melted butter or shortening
- ¼ cup honey
- ¼ cup sugar
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 9 x 9 inch cornbread
- Preheat oven to 400° F.
- Thoroughly grease and flour a 9″ × 9″ baking pan (or use a nonstick baking pan or a flexible silicone pan).
- Sift together the flour, cornmeal, baking powder and salt.
- Combine the half and half, eggs, butter (or shortening), honey and sugar.
- Add the liquid ingredients to the dry ones and mix just until the flour is moistened, no more than ten to fifteen seconds. The batter should be visibly lumpy — leave it that way! It’s extremely important not to overmix the batter.
- Once the liquid and dry ingredients have been combined, pour the batter into your prepared pan and bake the cornbread immediately.
- TIP: The dry and wet ingredients, respectively, can be mixed in advance, but as soon as the wet and dry ingredients have been combined with each other, the liquid will activate the baking powder and the batter needs to be baked right away.
- Bake 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cornbread comes out clean and the edge of the bread starts to separate from the pan.